
Far right: altar of sacrifice. Tissue paper flames, spray-painted cups for horns (the thought crossed my mind to have a member of my family at each corner for horns ;), "blood" sprinkled on the top (red paint) and on the horns, a shovel for the ash on the bottom, and a "spear" (Nicaragua Machete :-) for the sacrifices. You'll also see bloody remains on the spear.
Next: we have the lavar, which wasn't set up yet. We got bowls from the dollar store and ended up finding an upright cardboard box for the center post. Good thing I didn't put any water in because that setup loved to get knocked over!
Holy Place:
Table of shewbread: on top two baskets with pita bread and the table even has a rim all the way around it like the real one did!
Lampstand: Ok, I failed! They had a solid gold menorah and burned oil, not wax. We set up 7 candles on a piano bench. Well, you get the picture. ;-)
Altar of incense: a music stand (four horns again) with a potpourri crockpot. We got a few good laughs out of that one!
Then there's the Nicaraguan wrap-around skirt-made-veil before the Most Holy place where we have the...
Ark of the covenant: spray-painted gold box with two cardboard "angels", the ten commandments (which were on a blue sapphire stone--Bible worker appreciated that one. And Josh even knew that there were 4 commandments on the first stone and 6 on the second! I was impressed!) there's a jar of "manna", but ask any of the kids, they'll tell you it's full of marshmallows! And there's also Aaron's rod that budded.
On the far left is the cross. As I studied the sanctuary to set it up I was again impressed with how everything about it points to Jesus, and especially to His sacrifice for us on the cross. I have seen how if we were to study the sanctuary more there would be so much less confusion as to how the plan of salvation actually works.
Overall, I love this VBS. The kids have been learning a LOT. I hope somehow we can get this program started at other churches as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment