13.3.08

Guatemala Pics

Finally, I get to post pics from my wonderful trip to Guatemala!

I suppose the most difficult part was just getting into Kalispell so we could get on the train--but we did manage to break through the foot of freshly fallen powder that arrived over night. What a day for that to happen!



Michael and I took the train over to Spokane where we met Stephen and flew down to Guatemala city. After a succession of missed flights, we finally made it into our destination country around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday morning. Michael and Stephen were both a little zoned... :-S


After flying out to our Flores, Guatemala, we took a taxi into the Adventist Academy campus, ICAP. Somewhere around 200 students are currently attending ICAP; I was privileged to stay in the home of two girls on campus; one was a staff, and her sister was a student in the school. It was an awesome privilege to live with the locals for 3 weeks; I felt like I really became acquainted with their mindset and plans for life. That's what I've always wanted to do. Fortunately for me, too, they both spoke good English! I appreciated too all they help they gave me in learning to speak Spanish.





One day we got to visit the famous ancient Mayan ruins of Tikal. I was astounded by the multitude of altars set up for sacrificing children. It's amazing to me that in most religions people were sacrificed to keep their gods happy. Only in Christianity did our God die for us so that we could be happy with Him forever!








Could you imagine temples higher than the tree tops? Talk about "the good news." A project like this temple must've given the slaves perpetual indigestion for generations! However, it was very kind of them to build it, because we tourists were astonished at the gorgeous view surrounding us.



Fortunately while we were in Guatemala it didn't rain much. However, when it rained, it poured! If you can believe it, this picture was taken with full color one Friday evening near sunset.


Each evening six evangelistic meetings were hosted in the nearby towns and villages by courageous Americans. After a full day's labor (or schoolwork) and evangelistic meetings till nearly 10:00, it was easy to get some amusing pictures of people conked out on the way home!




After living and working with people for three weeks, they really become close friends. It was hard to say goodbye! The girls on my left and right are my two roommates, and the guy behind me was Stephen's translator at the evening meetings. All three of them taught me half of the Spanish I know today, though that teaching may have been through trials and tears! These are all three very patient people.


And who could leave the jungle without camping in it for at least one night?
Regardless of what everyone told me, I didn't even get eaten by a snake. Imagine that.
I have more pictures to post, but they'll have to come in another post later.

3 comments:

João Workentine said...

Great pics. Shows that being a Christian can be a lot of fun.

Like at Cadillac Jacks!

http://adventistsnotcult.blogspot.com/2008/01/cadillac-jack-movies-and-fiction.html

Luther said...

Alright, the long-awaited pics have finally arrived:-b I'm just so glad you guys were able to do something overseas this year. Looks like you had a great time! Enjoy your Spring break, although I'm sure it's not near as fun as college...

Luther said...

Ok, Ok...I was just trying to make myself feel better:-b