After a hilarious session of canvass memorizing in the Glatt's living room through Sunday morning and into the afternoon, we decided it was time to knock on some doors Sunday evening regardless of our state of preparation. For our first shot, Derek and Pastor Tom went out with me to see what it was really like to meet people face to face. After half an hour without selling any books, the thought went through Pastor Tom's head, "maybe we won't sell a single book the whole summer!" But we kept on praying. Then the sales began to come in! First, a caucasian Buddhist/Zen lady bought a cookbook. (She also was given a steps to Christ ;-) Then, a Russian lady bought My Friend Jesus. A couple of more books were sold as well.
Our last door of the evening was at the home of another family that used to attend the SDA church. They also invited us in, and throughout another half-hour discussion of all sorts of spiritual topics, she bought four books, two of which were devotional books for her personally. Praise the Lord! Throughout the course of 2 1/2 hours, we had sold 8 books. God was working.
The next day, Pastor Glatts, the boys and I piled into the minivan bright and early for our 2-hour drive to our other team. This team has special energy and enthusiasm. You see, there's 8 boys between the ages of 9 and 15 on this team! Fortunately, a girl from Mission College also joined the team to help me keep things running smoothly ;-)
After 3 hours of somewhat less-than-productive training, I decided it was time to let these kids try their hand at it. As I ran between the doors with the two youngest boys, I kept hearing other guys call in on their radios, "I need More Choices" or, "Peace above the Storm and He Taught Love". I was thrilled! God was working through human inadequacies, and the gospel was being spread! I couldn't have been happier.
In two hours we had canvassed the entire town of Seeley Lake. Montana is an amazing place. Twenty-four books were sold, and 8 young boys told me they'd had the time of their lives, and were begging me to come back ASAP and take them out knocking on doors again. I had been challenged and stretched, but richly blessed.
You never know what to expect in Montana. When I woke up yesterday morning to see big, fluffy flakes drifting lazily to the ground, I had a premonition that I just might be taking the day off! Freezing temperatures on June 10 just didn't sound appealing to be running around in.
Another crazy twist has been coming up with a way to get to the farmhouses that are spread so far apart! Our solution of riding bicycles made for some very happy young men :-D
Yet, beyond all else, I think the greatest joy of this program has been seeing changes in the young people themselves. One guy with long, shaggy blonde hair nearly fainted at the mention of a trim job! Not to mention the horrors of canvassing in something other than skater shoes. The tables turned last night as I nearly dropped dead upon hearing that he had planned with his parents to go out and buy new clothes and his haircut was scheduled for Friday!
What a rewarding summer job. I'm so thrilled to be able to spend two months in the beautiful state of Montana. Who knows what challenges lie around the next corner?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What an adventure, Krissy! Looks like you're taking the new challenges in stride...oh, and the news about the haircut--what an answer to prayer:-b Now we'll be able to see his eyes again...
Post a Comment