6.6.08

What a rough job!

Last fall when Pastor Glatts' invited me to spend my summer in the Flathead valley teaching young people to colporteur, it sounded like an exciting opportunity. Within a few months I was hired, and anticipated an interesting summer filled with plenty of hard work. Well, it's been even rougher than I had expected. First, I was appalled when I got here prepared to dig right into my job and I was informed that the only thing I was allowed to do was sleep and relax for one week! However, they changed their minds by Friday and assigned me the task of regularly visiting my old roommate. They told me I would need to plan something to do with her--like go on a picnic with her, or something else highly demanding and stressful. I wasn't sure I was up to it.
To make matters worse, on Thursday night the cat dragged in something really gross. Well, actually, it was two somethings! They were nearly unrecognizable when they landed on our doorstep, but after some hot showers, lots of soap, and a nourishing meal, they faintly resembled Luther and Stephen! Shockingly, they had survived their excursions through the wilds of Glacier National Park... barely!
Sabbath was nearly more than I could take. After a very special rendition of "Be Thou My Vision" at Columbia Falls, Pastor Tom kindly commented that his favorite part was the ending. It was more than a fitting remark! All were in hardy agreement. To make matters worse, he ann
ounced that we would all be biking uphill on The Going to the Sun Road till th
e place where it was closed! How much can one endure?! After an exhausting pedal up the hill and a petrifying zoom down, alas, I survived.
Enduring a serious of traumatizing events such as those heretofore described, it is unreasonable to fathom many other tragedies befalling the life of one single person. Nonetheless, there is one other continual thorn in my side that irritates me perpetually
. It seems to be that no matter where I turn, I am surrounded, shut in, and trapped. There appears to be no escape. From every angle these protruding, ja
gged, rocky obstacles block all views of openness. This sense of claustrophobia and confinement is nearly more than one can endure. I do not know how long I can last here. Especially as the great ball of fire sinks below the horizon and the whole evening sky is set ablaze... Oh what trials I must bravely endure! Alas, I am stuck for two more months...

1 comment:

Luther said...

How can I convey my sincere condolences? How can I let you know from the bottom of my heart my genuine sorrow for your dire circumstances? Well, I'll try: "I'm SOO excited for you!" There...feel better now? :-)